Confidential Inspectors

A small team of inspectors at the Inspectorate of Education has a special task alongside their regulatory responsibilities: they are also Confidential Inspectors. The members of this team are also Confidential Inspectors for the childcare sector and the Caribbean Netherlands.

When might you need to contact a Confidential Inspector?

Parents, pupils, teachers, administrators, governing bodies and confidential counsellors may contact the Inspectorate’s Confidential Inspectors to discuss problems they are encountering at school in the areas of:

  • sexual harassment and sexual abuse (sexual offenses)
  • psychological and physical violence
  • discrimination and radicalization

Complaints falling in the categories mentioned above may be submitted to the Confidential Inspector, who will listen, inform and advise as necessary. Your report will be registered in a confidential file that only the Confidential Inspector may access. If necessary, the Confidential Inspector may also advise you on the process of submitting a formal complaint or filing a police report. If there is a suspicion of sexual abuse (sexual offense), a reporting obligation may apply in certain cases

What about other types of school-related complaints?

The Inspectorate of Education is not tasked with dealing with school-related complaints of an individual nature or complaints related to a labour dispute. If you have a complaint about an aspect of education, discussing the situation with those directly involved will often lead to a solution to the problem. The school management may be able to mediate, or there may be an internal or external confidential counsellor you can speak with. If your complaint relates to the school administration, then you can contact the school’s competent authority (i.e. the governing body) or the executive board. You will find the complaints procedure in the school prospectus or on the website of the school or educational institution. The competent authority will inform you about how to submit your complaint.


The Inspectorate wishes to form the most complete picture possible of schools and other institutions. We would therefore like to hear from you if you have a complaint about a school or educational institution. Please contact us to submit your complaint. Your notification (we call this a ‘signal’) will be forwarded to the inspection team of the relevant school or educational institution. They will read your complaint and add it to the records of the school or educational institution. The team may also discuss your notification with the governing body or include it in a subsequent inspection of the school/educational institution.